The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’.
With this money we could invest in even better resources to support your child. If you are registered for Free School Meals you could also get help with the cost of school trips and be eligible for the 16-19 Bursary Fund.
Please register as soon as possible so that others in the Academy don’t miss out.
How does it work?
- First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the list on the next page.
Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact Leicestershire County Council on 0116 305 6588, Free School Meals (details are on the following page) or Miss Cambridge at Robert Smyth on 01858 440770 who will help you to register.
- If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving you more than £450 a year), extra benefits and the school gets extra funding.
- If you don’t want your child to have the school meals they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify and are registered, the school still gets the extra funding.
No-one, apart from those who need to know, will be aware that you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming. Please talk to us about registering your child today.
Do you qualify?
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Students can also register for Free School Meals if they get any of these benefits themselves.
How to apply?
If you do not receive Free School Meals at the moment but think that you may be eligible please visit the Leicestershire County Council website via the following address: www.leics.gov.uk/index/education/going_to_school/school_catering/free_school_lunches.htm
- Email: email@example.com
- You can download the Free School Meals Application Form (DOC)
- Request an application form on 0116 305 6588 or 0116 3057093
- Fax: 0116 3055785
The postal address is:
School Food Support Service
Tel: 0116 305 6588
or see Miss Cambridge or Mrs Dyke in the main office for a Free School Meals application form.