Year 9 Excitement
- The Entrepreneur. What is an entrepreneur and would you like to become one?
- What skills do they need and how do they decide what business to run?
- The students work towards creating a business plan
- What is the purpose of business and why do different types of businesses have different objectives?
- Who are the stakeholders in business and what do all the stakeholders want from business?
- What are the ethical constraints on business?
- People and Business. How and why do businesses recruit employees?
- How do businesses motivate and train employees?
- How are businesses organised and how do they communicate?
Year 10 Expertise
- Production. How are different things made?
- How can production be made as efficient as possible?
- How stock is managed. Just in time production
- Logistics and procurement, the supply chain
- Why is quality important?
- Customer service, the benefits of good customer service
- Technology and E-commerce, digital communication
- Ethical considerations and sustainability
- Government legislation and business
- The economic environment of the business
- How does the rate of inflation, unemployment and growth impact businesses?
- How is the interest rate and tax rates important to business?
- Globalisation, advantages and disadvantages
- How do UK businesses compete internationally?
- Employment Law, Health and Safety law and Consumer Law
- Identifying and understanding customers
- How are markets segmented?
- What is market research?
- How is market research carried out?
- Market research project
Year 11 Expertise
- What are the elements of the 4 Ps, the marketing mix?
- Differentiating the product, creating a competitive advantage
- Promotional methods
- E and M-commerce, how are goods distributed in the modern world?
- Sources of finance, which source of finance is appropriate for different business needs?
- Short term needs and cash flow
- The difference between cash and profit
- Financial terms and break-even analysis
- Financial Statements
- Calculating profitability, profit margins
- Liquidity calculations, can the business pay its bills?
- Return on capital employed, the prime ratio.
- Average rate of return
- Comparing the success of two businesses using financial statements
- Revision and exam practice